Bjørn Christian Tørrissen
- 1992 - 1998: Sivilingeniør/Master of Science
Norwegian Institute of Technology, a part of
the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Faculty of Electronic
Engineering and Computer Science,
Department of Computer Science and Telematics
Thesis published Feb 9. 1998.
Focus on system development/systems engineering, Internet
applications, user interfaces and intelligent agents. In addition to pure
computer science classes, I have added to my
schedule classes in fields like psychology and cultural understanding.
- 1997 : Two exams in humanities as part of my year off from the
- Examen Philosophicum, the history of philosophy, logic and
- Fi101 - Modern philosophy and methods from philosophy
- 1988 - 1991: Brønnøysund Videregående Skole, Brønnøysund.
Branch of Natural science.
- 1991 - 1992: Royal Norwegian Air Force, Andøya in Norway
and Creete, Greece.
Crew member of a Norwegian Adapted Hawk (NOAH) missile
crew. Trained to assemble missile, test missile electronics,
load missile onto launcher and align launcher with
Elected representative for soldiers in battery and
- 1997: August - November.
Teaching assistant for the information systems engineering
course at NTNU,
Trondheim. Administrating software (Lotus Notes 4.5,
GroupSystems, Action Workflow Analyst),
making and running exercises for the students as well
as lecturing and correcting the students' work.
- Summer 1997 : June-August.
Installation of software and creating exercises for a software
engineering course at NTNU.
- Summer 1996 : June-August.
Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science,
NTNU, Trondheim, Norway.
System planning, system design and WWW interface design for a
project where the goal was to present information from an AS/400
to the users through the Web instead of the less user-friendly
AS/400 system. UNIX, Apple MacIntosh and IBM PC platform experience.
- Summer 1994 : June-September. The county map office in Bodø,
Responsibilities included collecting information for a
digital map, concentrating on mapping the exact position of
buildings and recording data about the buildings.
- Summer 1993 : June-August, the National Register of Business
Enterprises and Annual Company Accounts in
Performed general office work, mainly registering information
from forms into database.
- 1987 - 1990: Esselte Soliditet, Brønnøysund.
throughout the year and fulltime June-August, converting
information from forms into company database.
- January 2008: First book in English published, One for the Road. A slightly
modified translation of the Norwegian edition, see below.
- Autumn 2005: First book published, "I pose
og sekk!", in Norwegian. Travel journal and motivational
literature for up and coming backpackers. Describes life on the
road, or more precisely, on three roads; one leading to
Patagonia/Antarctica, one to Southern Africa and one through
Siberia. May start working on a translation in English
- August 1997 - February 1998: Research and writing for my diploma
thesis. Combining indexing and search methods known from regular
libraries with new agent technology to come up with a new kind
of search engine. The index shall contain pointers to all
existing Web pages and the users will perform requests through a
dialogue with an electronic librarian capable of
understanding natural language. The paper is available in both
- 1997, Summer: Translating literature study from the spring of
1996 to English. The paper is
available in HTML (http://www.pvv.org/~bct/sprithesis/iathesis.html)
- 1996, Spring: Literature study in the field of Intelligent
Agents, looking for ways to let novice users use and
agents for various tasks, ranging from information gathering to
automating frequent activities.
- Part of the organizing committee for the IDT field trip of
1995, to the Silicon Valley area in California,
USA. In addition
to practical planning, I was an instructor and lecturer at a
UNIX/Internet Course for students and university employees, to
collect money for the field trip.
Selected journeys (more):
- 2011: April, Morocco and Western Sahara, [Photos]
- 2010: September - October, El Camino de Santiago, 800km pilgrimage through France and Spain, [Photos]
- 2009: Turkey, mainly the eastern parts [Photos]
- 2008/9 : November - January: Western Australia and Tasmania [Photos], [photos] and [photos]
- 2008: July: Hiked Jotunheimstien in Norway, 320km. [Photos]
- 2007: May: Central America. [Photos]
- 2006: December: India, Goa and Karnataka. [Photos]
- 2006: March - April: Brazil, Lencois and Fernando de
- 2005: November - December: Cambodia and Vietnam by land. [Photos]
- 2005: July - August: Eastern Europe by train. [Photos]
- 2005: February - March: Brazilian wildlife in the Amazonas and
- 2004: October: Off-season western Europe. [Photos]
- 2003: July - August: Slow, hop-on/hop-off Transsiberian railway
- 2002: August - October: South Africa, Swaziland, Namibia and
Botswana, plus the Victoria Falls. [Photos]
- 2001: October - November: Britain by train, from the Orkneys to Land's End.
- 2001: January - April: South America (Argentina, Uruguay, Chile
and Peru) and Antarctica [Journal]
- 2000: October - December: Backpacking through Thailand.
- 2000: May - June: By car through the Southwestern USA
- 1999: November - December: (w)Inter-rail throughout
- September 1996 - March 1997: Round the world
(Southeast Asia, Oceania, USA)
- 1995 : July - September. Independent travel through 23 states
in the USA, coast to coast. Included a thorough field trip with
visits to several locations in Silicon Valley. [Journal]
I claim to possess some knowledge about:
- IBM Workplace
- PDF generation
- Lotus Notes/Domino
- Digital photography
- General HTML/DHTML
- General Internet Security
- Use of Internet applications
- Java Web front-end programming
- Script programming and general use of Unix
- Systems Engineering, pre-programming phases
- Microsoft Windows and applications in general
- First language is Norwegian
- Possess extreme written communication skills (in a good way)
- Have a very good understanding of other Scandinavian languages.
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken
- Speak and write a reasonably good German, speak a fair Latin
American Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese
- International driver licence for cars
- PADI Open Water Diver Certificate